Friday 4 July 2014

A Fresh Look


Things have been stagnant around here in the decorating department.

We have put all of our interior projects on hold for the summer; we do this every year. Instead we focus on the outside - this year we expanded the flower beds and painted the deck. We spend our DIY time doing things like trimming the hedge, sealing cracks in the driveway, and pulling weeds. And we just slow things down a little to spend more time actually ENJOYING that deck and backyard we work so hard on.

When I'm not working on a project in the house though, I find everything comes to a grinding halt inside. There is no reason for me to rearrange or shuffle decor around, and so I don't. And everything just sits.

Some times I like things to stay the same way for a long time. I struggle with styling, so when I create an arrangement I am actually happy with I tend to keep it that way for a long time. Overall though, I like things to be constantly changing. I get bored staring at the same stack of books and candlesticks, and it is energizing to me to switch things up and shift pieces around the house.




I was sitting on the couch last night and suddenly everything around me felt stagnant. Nothing in the living room has been re-arranged in several months; actually, almost everything in the room is still the way I arranged it after I put away the Christmas decor last year! I suddenly had the urge to freshen things up; I couldn't stand looking at the same stale decor any longer.

It was late, but I knew I would feel refreshed and happy to have a bit of a new look in the living room when I woke up this morning. So I grabbed a white pitcher and headed outside with a pair of scissors.






I clipped the lone peony that had fully opened, and added some stems from a lady's mantle for texture.







Once inside, I cleared off the candles from the piano top and pulled out some different things. I didn't think about it too much, I just placed things that I liked together, choosing objects that were white or neutral in color.




Is it perfect? No. But it feels so good to have a new "look"  to catch your attention as you enter the room.

Little changes like this keep me inspired and energized - do you find that too? I always notice when things around me have become stale that my creativity and desire to work on my house just tank. Sometimes all it takes is moving a few things around or switching out a key piece to bring back that inspired feeling!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS