Thursday 22 May 2014

Antique Cabinet



This beautiful piece has been sitting in my garage for a very long time, and it's next up on the list to be painted. I kept putting it off because it's a piece for me, and custom pieces for clients or for the shop kept taking first priority.

It's hard to take valuable (and rare) work time to do something for myself, but I need the space that this piece is taking up in my garage, and sometimes it's just so good to finish a piece for yourself and get to enjoy it without any pressure or deadlines.






It needs to have a top built. As you can see, it has a very odd top - I am assuming that originally this was the top half of a hutch and there was a closed cabinet that this would have sat on, so the builder never felt the need to create a "finished" top as it would have been above eye level anyway. I don't like to alter or add to antiques, but in order for this piece to be functional for us it needs to be done. And I have no plans to resell, so I'm not worried about hurting it's value.






It was purchased by my husband's aunt and used as a display case I believe in her store. When she was ready to get rid of it, she thought of me and sent it home with my husband's parents the last time they visited. She had painted the interior but the outside was still raw wood and the moment I saw it, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it.


It still has the original hardware and from what I can tell, the original glass as well. I am not even sure where I am going to find room to put this beauty once I finish her, but this is one piece that I won't be letting go of, even if it means another piece of mine has to find a new home.







I will be working on transforming this piece and will share photos of the finished product as soon as the paint is dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS